Start a Computer Business with the Computer Business Kit

Poll

Do you consider yourself a contractor, vendor, commodity, customer, or something else on the platforms?

I am a contractor
6 (50%)
I am a vendor
0 (0%)
I am a commodity
2 (16.7%)
I am a customer
0 (0%)
I am all of the above
2 (16.7%)
I am an employee
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: How do you categorize your relationship with the platforms?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Rick Savoia

• Administrator
  • Macgyvertech
    • The Force field
How do you categorize your relationship with the platforms?
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »
If you work on platforms such as OnForce and Field Nation, How do you categorize your relationship with them? Do you consider yourself a contractor, vendor, commodity, customer, or something else? Why?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:33:32 PM by Rick Savoia »

Offline Xenokilla

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
Re: How do you categorize your relationship with the platforms?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
well field nation is now requiring insurance, and OF banned me, FS work is silly, so right now its just me and work market. And they can [Redacted] my [Redacted].
bradw61: Wouldn't that make you the 'dilly bar" tech? :D

Torchwood Technology Services, LLC
On twitter, @TorchwoodTech

Offline Roy J. Tellason

• Tier 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
How would I characterize my relationship with the platforms?  Strained,  at best.

Currently I'm down from a whole pile of these folks to just FN and WM.  And I'm not doing very much at all through either of them.

FN recently assigned the same WO to me and someone else,  who claimed to be onsite before the actual start time,  so I ended up getting a cancellation fee out of it,  minutes before I was supposed to start out the door.  Their volume for me is down to single digits per month at this point,  way down from what it was.  Stuff keeps on coming at me from there,  but less and less of it that I'd consider bothering with at all at this point.

WM has also slowed down to a trickle,  and there's one buyer on there that I've done work for before but who also seems intent lately on sending out a whole mess of stuff with an hourly rate below $20!  Since I have gotten reasonable pay from these folks I hesitate to block them,  but...

Mostly at this point I'm concentrating my energies elsewhere.

I like the idea of online work brokers,  have ever since I encountered OF way back when,  but they all seem to go buyer-centric,  micromanaging "techs",  and do other things that I'm not crazy about.  Why can't we have a more balanced platform?

I'd like to see one where you have an introductory service,  and comments by both buyers and providers can be published (the directory on here is a good start in that direction) and where open communications in both directions is encouraged.  Maybe allow for the handling of funds if desired,  but don't make it a mandatory part of things.  That'd be a worthwhile platform,  if it happened,  but for some reason it doesn't seem to,  and it's not real clear to me why that is.

Offline Dave

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »
I am still using OF, WM, and FN. I stopped using FS after just 6 wo. It just seemed like amateur day in all ways including pay.  SL was similar but lower vloume so I deep sixed them. I wonder if Frank the forum admin is still blowing smoke over there. I have pared back or eliminated work from the likes of Sarcom, EES, etc. and instead am concentrating on buyers that call me direct, pay well, and treat techs with respect. Last Friday I was sent to the beach for a half hours work with a 2 hour drive there. They paid $100 an hour including drive time both ways. Overall last year was my best year yet. I payed off the truck in less than a year and made a nice contribution to the retirement fund. This year I plan on concentrating on completing a BS in IT along with the regular work load. The buyers and work are always changing a bit but the flow never stops. Just recently I have been seeing a ton of project work come out on the platforms. Most of it is relatively low pay $20-$40 an hour with full time hours. Not my cup of tea but if it keeps Pete busy it will be very nice.
"And as I've gotten older, I've had more of a tendency to look for people who live by kindness, tolerance, compassion, a gentler way of looking at things."

Martin Scorsese