Author Topic: MacMini server is not so great  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Mark Verhyden

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
MacMini server is not so great
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
In the past I've been a big proponent of the MacMini running OS X server.  Not so sure I'll be doing that anymore.  I was going to post a screen shot of the linked site I posted about in Security>Advisories/Alerts using my owncloud.  So I tried to connect to the server, nothing.  Turns out the boot HD is bad.  So I have to use target mode, hopefully, to recoup the TM store to rebuild it on a USB drive.  That two HD failures in two years on two different machines.

Offline bfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • WNY PC Repair
Re: MacMini server is not so great
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
In the past I've been a big proponent of the MacMini running OS X server.  Not so sure I'll be doing that anymore.  I was going to post a screen shot of the linked site I posted about in Security>Advisories/Alerts using my owncloud.  So I tried to connect to the server, nothing.  Turns out the boot HD is bad.  So I have to use target mode, hopefully, to recoup the TM store to rebuild it on a USB drive.  That two HD failures in two years on two different machines.

Too much heat. I have never trusted 2.5 inch drives either.

Offline Mark Verhyden

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »

Hard to say.  It does have plenty of space around it.  I do remember the Apple tech saying he was going to replace the cable along with the drive the last time.  When I opened it up on the last failure it has one of those flat ribbon cables.  Wonder if that is an issue?

Offline Mark Verhyden

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:02:20 PM »
The last TM was around 11am so I'm hoping things will work out.  Of course I picked a couple of hours before at the last restore point.

Offline bfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • WNY PC Repair
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:16:10 AM »

Hard to say.  It does have plenty of space around it.  I do remember the Apple tech saying he was going to replace the cable along with the drive the last time.  When I opened it up on the last failure it has one of those flat ribbon cables.  Wonder if that is an issue?

I just don't think they have enough ventilation. A customer had a Time Capsule that ran so hot it would almost burn you. Lasted about a year.