Start a Computer Business with the Computer Business Kit

Author Topic: Lenovo Laptop Plugged in but not charging (59%)  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
    • The Video Dash Cam Store
Lenovo Laptop Plugged in but not charging (59%)
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »
I have a Lenovo laptop. The battery was at 59% and said  plugged in but not charging It has Win 8 on it.
I had to go to device manager and batter then uninstall MS battery control, shut down, remove the batter and boot up. Then plugged in the charger and it is now charging.
Why on earth would MS put that garbage in there? I wondered why the last time I used it on battery it go so low in an hour. Seems MS has an issue with allowing it to fully charge.

Offline slowhand53

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
Re: Lenovo Laptop Plugged in but not charging (59%)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »
is it possible that it was too hot to charge?  my phone won't charge if too warm.

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
is it possible that it was too hot to charge?  my phone won't charge if too warm.
No. I just flipped it open, and it had to reboot to install an update. That's another issue. Windows 8 seems to demand a reboot and not let you reboot later like I could it the past. It said it wanted to reboot, I clicked to wait because I was doing something, it popped up again and I clicked to wait. The next time it just did it anyway.  >:D

Offline airtech

• Tier 3 Member
    • AirTech Solutions
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 05:23:17 PM »
I have a Lenovo laptop. The battery was at 59% and said  plugged in but not charging It has Win 8 on it.
I had to go to device manager and batter then uninstall MS battery control, shut down, remove the batter and boot up. Then plugged in the charger and it is now charging.
Why on earth would MS put that garbage in there? I wondered why the last time I used it on battery it go so low in an hour. Seems MS has an issue with allowing it to fully charge.

I didn't think the OS had anything to do with charge rates - I though it only had to do with reporting what was going on with the hardware.  Does the OS have control over the current flow to the battery? 

Sounds reasonable that the OS wouldn't have been reporting it correctly though if the software component that does the talking screwed up.

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
You might want to come back later and double-check it's actually charging and holding a charge.  We had a brand new Lenovo do exactly the same thing- albeit a Win 7 Pro machine.  Identical problem though.  It ended up being a bad battery.  We had to argue with Lenovo to replace it but they did.  They overnighted a replacement to us and problem was solved.
We knew it was a bad battery because we had a few other of the same model here in the store that we were able to swap batteries around.  The charging issue moved with the battery.  And the battery never actually had any charge at all even though the Lenovo app said the battery was "optimal" and said it had a partial charge.
2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Quote from: Todd Hughes
Linux guys are a strange lot...........

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »
It seems to be a issue a lot with Lenovo. I may be a driver issue with the chipset. I have it unplugged now and it shows 96% remaining 3hr 17 min remaining. I could not find the app for the Lenovo battery saver, although I seem to remember a notification once about asking me something to that affect. I said yes.
I will see how long the battery lasts on this charge. I have had bad batteries in the past on laptops that would not hold a charge but never had a message plugged in but not charging. I see quit a few discussions about this issue with Lenovos which leads me to believe it is a chip driver issue. Maybe not.
But if the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery is preventing a full charge of the battery that is going to affect the life of the battery as well.
And it may be some issue with the battery itself that comes with the laptop. But no battery in a new laptop should be going less than a few years.

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/microsoft-acpi-compliant-control-method-battery/f988b4a8-2496-402c-984f-2600f2b19757?msgId=0ea268a6-912d-43ad-bebd-0de927d42c8b

I am working with a Lenovo Y530 (ab00216104) Laptop. After a couple of years the battery stopped holding a charge so I ordered a new one from a third party as Lenovo temporarily stopped selling them. The new battery worked fine at first however after a few minutes I get the "battery plugged in, not charging" message from the battery system icon in the bottom left. It simply stops charging the battery, but it will run off the battery until it is depleted. At first, I thought it was a bad battery however through much trial and error I have discovered the battery works fine. Let me explain.

If I uninstall "Microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery" from the device manager and restart my computer with my wireless card turned off then the battery will operate perfectly. It isn't until I connect to the internet that suddenly it stops charging again. It's as if once my computer is able to access the internet and update "Microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery" that the problem occurs.

As far as I can tell there is no way to stop it from updating once it establishes a connection and no way to "roll back drivers" as that option is grayed out. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this situation, thank you.

Tushar P
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Tushar P replied on

Support Engineer

Hi,

I suggest you to perform the following methods.

Method 1:

To enable or disable searching Windows Update driver manually on a single computer

Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
    In the Tasks list, click Advanced System Settings.
    On the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Windows Update Driver Settings.
    Select Never check for drivers when I connect a device.
    Click OK twice, and then close the System dialog box.

Method 2: Install the latest chipset drivers for the laptop and check.

If the issue persists, contact the Lenovo support for further assistance.

Hope this helps!!!

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »
By the way. Mine reinstalled as well.

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Seems it is not just Lenovo

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/brd_batt_pwr@tkb/article-id/2

Resolving battery and power issues
Labels: battery help, battery not charging, laptop help, power cycle
by Moderator   Peter Moderator on ‎02-28-2012 10:25 AM
- edited on ‎07-10-2013 08:23 AM
Question

When I try to charge the battery, the computer doesn't detect the battery or it says "plugged in, not charging." The battery also loses charge when the laptop is off and unplugged. How do I fix these problems?
Answer

It's normal for a battery to lose some amount of charge over time when the laptop is off and unplugged from power. However, some models will lose charge faster than others. A faulty battery may lose significantly more charge than a battery in good, working condition.

If a battery won't charge, if a battery can't be detected by the laptop, or if there are other power issues, there are some simple steps that can be taken. Try the following.

Power Cycle

Turn off the laptop, unplug any accessories, unplug the power adaptor, and remove the battery if the battery is user-replaceable. Then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Afterward, reattach the battery and reconnect the laptop.

Clean Contacts

If the battery is user-replaceable, ensure that the metal contacts of the battery and the laptop are clean.

Remove the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery

Remove the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and allow Windows to scan your computer for hardware and reinstall the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should then indicate that the battery is charging.

In Windows 8, hold the Windows key and press the 'x' key to open a menu in the lower-left, then select Device Manager. In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager.
    Expand the Batteries category.
    Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
    On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes.

Check the AC power

Confirm that the laptop is receiving AC power. If you connect the laptop to AC power but the laptop doesn't detect it, you may need to replace the AC adaptor or seek servicing.

Offline ComputerPlano

• Tier 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »
Windows 8, eh?

I would say something about that; but... :-X

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
Windows 8, eh?

^^This.
2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Quote from: Todd Hughes
Linux guys are a strange lot...........

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »
Windows 8, eh?

^^This.
I bought it new for like $288. It's a 15" and I needed to know Win 8 to support it. So I bought it. I am wondering if the OS has something to do with it. I doubt it, but I have never seen this before in all my years.
It is still running on battery. I am on my desktop now but it was still around 78% after a few hours. There's nothing wrong with the battery. I have always been impressed with how long it lasts till the other day when I took it to do a surveillance system job. It was around 48% after less than an hour.
Which I think now is because the battery was not being charged above 58%

Offline bfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • WNY PC Repair
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 10:07:25 PM »
Windows 8, eh?

^^This.
I bought it new for like $288. It's a 15" and I needed to know Win 8 to support it. So I bought it. I am wondering if the OS has something to do with it. I doubt it, but I have never seen this before in all my years.
It is still running on battery. I am on my desktop now but it was still around 78% after a few hours. There's nothing wrong with the battery. I have always been impressed with how long it lasts till the other day when I took it to do a surveillance system job. It was around 48% after less than an hour.
Which I think now is because the battery was not being charged above 58%

Lenovo does have software that does exactly that if it sees you use it mostly plugged in.

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »
9:10 pm and battery was down to 29%. So it lasted a long time. I never closed the lid or let it hibernate. There is nothing wrong with the battery.
It is back on charge now. I will see if it continues to full charge. It may be that uninstalling and reinstalling the driver resolved the issue.

Offline slowhand53

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 12:11:40 AM »
9:10 pm and battery was down to 29%. So it lasted a long time. I never closed the lid or let it hibernate. There is nothing wrong with the battery.
It is back on charge now. I will see if it continues to full charge. It may be that uninstalling and reinstalling the driver resolved the issue.
if it doesn't charge past 59% but it does charge to that point you may have a couple dead cells in the battery.