Start a Computer Business with the Computer Business Kit

Author Topic: Dish Network VIP 722k Receiver locking up  (Read 10489 times)

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
Dish Network VIP 722k Receiver locking up
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »
I intentionally posted this in a public area in the hopes that maybe someone else will benefit from this.

I have a VIP 722k receiver from Dish Network.  I've been having issues where the receiver would slow down (as is slow down responding to remote commands) and randomly lock up.  I'd have to go over and hit the reset button to reboot it and all would be good for a few weeks again.  I had been doing that for a good 6 months now.  Recently the problem was getting worse- where it would lock up right in the middle of watching a show.  Last night it locked up during recording and without me actually watching anything.  Today I go to turn the TV to see what's been DVR'd for the day (I DVR a LOT of programming) only to find that the receiver is again locked up hard.  This time, however, a reboot doesn't work.  It freezes at the Starting Up screen.  Ok, I figure I must need to do a hard reset by unplugging it.  Try that and, again, it locks up at the Starting Up screen.

My first thought is a bad drive- as a failed drive tends to be the primary problem with DVR's.  However, unlike when I've had drives fail before, I never once had a hard drive error message pop up nor do I hear the tell-tale click, click, click.

So, since I own this receiver (and because I'm exceedingly impatient) I decide to rip it open to see what might be the issue.  Fortunately you can open this receiver by just removing 5 screws and there are no Warranty tamper tags to worry about.  Comes apart very easy.

As soon as I get it open I discover the problem- two failed caps.  One is a failed cap on one of the satellite inputs (which likely happened last summer when my Dish antenna got zapped by lightning). The other was a cap on the SATA drive power supply circuit. 

I replace both of those caps and throw it back together.  Reconnect it and power it on. Bingo!  Works perfectly! 

Here are the caps that were bad in my receiver (the cap by the satellite input #1 was very likely from the lightning strike and was probably not causing this particular issue as that cap was just acting as a filter).

The cap that was the main issue was C194 and is very near the SATA power connector on the main board (it's right under the hard drive).  It's a 1200uf 6.3v cap.  I replaced it with a 1200uf 10v for good measure.

The other cap, on the satellite input, was labeled C89 and is a 820uf 6.3v.  I only had a 820uf 6.3v on hand so I replaced it with that (which, as I mentioned, should not be an issue because it's just a filter cap on the input and not acting on a voltage rectifier circuit). 
2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Quote from: Todd Hughes
Linux guys are a strange lot...........

Offline Xenokilla

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
Re: Dish Network VIP 722k Receiver locking up
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »
Buy a mac

What? I thought that was the solution to everything.
bradw61: Wouldn't that make you the 'dilly bar" tech? :D

Torchwood Technology Services, LLC
On twitter, @TorchwoodTech

Offline RoboGeek

• Gising na!!
  • Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:07:46 AM »
mine freezes on one screen, but only on ATHF... its strange..
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:11:39 AM »
Buy a mac

No, you mean install Linux- that's the solution to everything (or so some would have us all to believe).   :laugh:
Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure (but not positive) the Dish Network OS is a Linux based OS. 
2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:12:32 AM »
mine freezes on one screen, but only on ATHF... its strange..
That is strange.  But I thought you only watched ATHF and a few other Adult Swim shows and nothing else?   :p
2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Offline RoboGeek

• Gising na!!
  • Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:18 AM »
when I fall asleep I turn on [as]..   5am its  fox news till i fall asleep and wake again about 7

Offline bfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • WNY PC Repair
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
Buy a mac

No, you mean install Linux- that's the solution to everything (or so some would have us all to believe).   :laugh:
Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure (but not positive) the Dish Network OS is a Linux based OS.

Linux has some decent PVR software. My Time Warner DVR runs Linux, as do most others.

Offline RoboGeek

• Gising na!!
  • Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
I built a decent linux PVR.. the hardest thing is the software is picky about the tuner card. I use a wintv hvr 1600 and it works fine.

Offline ajbaron22

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
I have the same problem on my vip 722k DVR. I removed the housing and all the board screws but I cannot slide out the board. How did you remove the board to replace the NG caps? I believe what's holding up the board is the component inputs.

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
I have the same problem on my vip 722k DVR. I removed the housing and all the board screws but I cannot slide out the board. How did you remove the board to replace the NG caps? I believe what's holding up the board is the component inputs.
Yes, in addition to the screws holding the board down you also have to remove the nuts on the coax inputs as well as a few screws on the component inputs.  You also have to remove the cables connecting the power supply and front control panel to the main board.  Then the board will lift out.  Obviously you also have to remove the hard drive carriage too.
2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Offline ajbaron22

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »
Thank you. I don't know how I missed that. Did you heat up the solder from the bottom of the board to remove the NG cap or did you cut the cap from the top and soldered the new one in?

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
Thank you. I don't know how I missed that. Did you heat up the solder from the bottom of the board to remove the NG cap or did you cut the cap from the top and soldered the new one in?
I removed the bad cap, used a solder sucker and wick to remove the solder from the holes in the board, and installed a new cap.  But I also spent about 4 years doing board level electronic repair 40 hours per week back in the 90s so I'm very familiar with board level repairs.

Really though, as easy as this board is to get out there is no reason to take a shorcut like cutting off the old cap and soldering the new to the legs of the old cap.  Just make sure to not damage any traces with the tip of soldering iron (as is always the case when soldering on delicate boards like this).  If I remember correclty the back side of the board has a few small traces very close to the solder points for the SATA cap that could be damaged easily if the tip of the iron slips and gouges them.
2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Offline WMLEWIS555

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »
Hi,
Yesterday my 722K locked up with the Dish start up screen but nothing happened.  I hit the reset button
and still nothing.   Next I pulled the power cord and plugged it back in and now absolutely nothing at all.
No lights no fan no matter what I try.
I saw your post and thought what the heck....   Best I could find was a 1500uf 10v cap....  Took the unit apart
and found C194. right next to the choke coil, de-soldered and re-soldered and when I tried to power back up
NADA.      I did notice when I originally plugged the DVR back in that there was an arc at the receptacle...  I
think I must have blown something else at that time....   Any suggestions?????

Offline bfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • WNY PC Repair
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
I don't have any ideas unfortunately, but welcome aboard.

Offline Tom Bozeman

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 12:30:23 AM »
removed,,,,how did i end up here
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:46:48 AM by Tom Bozeman »
How you say it has as much impact as what you say