Author Topic: New Poll: Are web-based platforms helping or hurting?  (Read 22521 times)

Offline Dave

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
Re: New Poll: Are web-based platforms helping or hurting?
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »
The idea that it is inevitable that the rates will go down isnt sound.

If that principle were to be fact then all jobs would be at rock bottom in pay.

Well explain to me how there can be several businesses that charge anywhere from $75-$125/hr and they make money even while those $20 fix anything techs seem to come and go?

Dave, I think if you greatly increase the supply the lowering of prices is inevitable and the platforms did that by allowing techs with little experience and no credentials to accept work. FS made it even worse by decreasing the tech's information and power.
"And as I've gotten older, I've had more of a tendency to look for people who live by kindness, tolerance, compassion, a gentler way of looking at things."

Martin Scorsese

Offline Tom Bozeman

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 12:00:27 AM »

Plus, the platforms allow anyone to become a "national". I did a job for a company last week that I am pretty sure was a one (wo)man show.
And, when thinking about Work Market, they are actively encouraging more of these 'nationals' to pop up.  Even going so far as to encourage that tickets be picked up by said 'national' and put back out on the very same platform.   But, from Jeff's perspective, I do understand the logic there.  Each time a ticket is accepted/completed on Work Market (doesn't matter if it's for the very same work or not) they earn $9.  So if that initial ticket is accepted then put back out as a new work order they will make $18 instead of just $9.
Edit: or whatever the dollar amounts are.  It seems every time we turn around WM has changed their pricing structure.  I don't even know what it is anymore to be honest.

I agree with this Parrish. And when I mentioned it on the Linkedin discussion Jeff went the reputation route. People won't just accept and repost hoping to make a buck, because their reputation is at stake. I don't think a lot of people are doing this,,,,,but they are "enabling" every person with a PC and internet connection to be a national. Some of these kids do not care about the long term, or their reputation.

After all,,,,in the internet world you can reinvent yourself with a few keystrokes, so reputation means NOTHING
How you say it has as much impact as what you say

Offline Tom Bozeman

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
Well, the question is really intended to poll the users of the platforms, not the platforms themselves. Some techs and nationals use these platforms extensively, others don't. By posing the question we are really asking why. The question is two pronged because it also asks how platforms affect the industry. Is it a positive affect or a negative one? If we simply ask someone from OF or WM, of course they will answer it in the positive because that's their business. They like to think they are transforming the industry, and they are. That's hardly objective. To make things more convoluted, they are actually the wrong people to ask the question in the first place, since they are not on the side of the business that feels the effect; they are on the side that administers it. Without actually feeling the positive or negative affects of their existence from the other side, how could they even know?

However, if we are asking those whose businesses existed before the platforms and are directly affected by them from the tech side, we find out how they are affected. This includes the techs, the nationals, the "Buyers" and anyone else who actually uses the platforms or is affected by them.

I have friends who run some of these platforms as well. This isn't about personal friendships. It's about business. And it's a fair question.

Rick,

With all due respect, you are creating a platform bashing party.

If the platforms do not directly represent themselves, who will?

Unless you are looking for the ICs to debate the benefits/problems of the platforms.

I do not fell it ethical for my company to participate if the platforms are not directly represented
How you say it has as much impact as what you say

Offline Rick Savoia

• Administrator
  • Macgyvertech
    • The Force field
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »
Well, the question is really intended to poll the users of the platforms, not the platforms themselves. Some techs and nationals use these platforms extensively, others don't. By posing the question we are really asking why. The question is two pronged because it also asks how platforms affect the industry. Is it a positive affect or a negative one? If we simply ask someone from OF or WM, of course they will answer it in the positive because that's their business. They like to think they are transforming the industry, and they are. That's hardly objective. To make things more convoluted, they are actually the wrong people to ask the question in the first place, since they are not on the side of the business that feels the effect; they are on the side that administers it. Without actually feeling the positive or negative affects of their existence from the other side, how could they even know?

However, if we are asking those whose businesses existed before the platforms and are directly affected by them from the tech side, we find out how they are affected. This includes the techs, the nationals, the "Buyers" and anyone else who actually uses the platforms or is affected by them.

I have friends who run some of these platforms as well. This isn't about personal friendships. It's about business. And it's a fair question.

Rick,

With all due respect, you are creating a platform bashing party.

If the platforms do not directly represent themselves, who will?

Unless you are looking for the ICs to debate the benefits/problems of the platforms.

I do not fell it ethical for my company to participate if the platforms are not directly represented

As I said earlier, we can have representatives from the platforms on the panel, but I don't think any of them will want to participate and if they do, they will want to turn it into a platform promo. I already did two episodes of that show and I want to hear the tech side to balance it out.

I gave WM an hour without any representation from the techs. I did it with Service Live as well. I offered OnForce the same opportunity but they turned it down. That was two hours of pro platform promotion with no time for the other side. I wanted to have a panel of parties on the other side of the business with a mix of positions to have their say as well. I don't see this as unethical by any means. I've watched worse matchups of political pundits in round table discussions on network television.

However, I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable with this, and your position on this is important and valued Tom, and I mean that. So bring on the platforms, the nationals and the techs and let's do it. I would like to do it sometime within the next couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:48:25 AM by Rick Savoia »

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 12:58:14 AM »

Plus, the platforms allow anyone to become a "national". I did a job for a company last week that I am pretty sure was a one (wo)man show.
And, when thinking about Work Market, they are actively encouraging more of these 'nationals' to pop up.  Even going so far as to encourage that tickets be picked up by said 'national' and put back out on the very same platform.   But, from Jeff's perspective, I do understand the logic there.  Each time a ticket is accepted/completed on Work Market (doesn't matter if it's for the very same work or not) they earn $9.  So if that initial ticket is accepted then put back out as a new work order they will make $18 instead of just $9.
Edit: or whatever the dollar amounts are.  It seems every time we turn around WM has changed their pricing structure.  I don't even know what it is anymore to be honest.

I agree with this Parrish. And when I mentioned it on the Linkedin discussion Jeff went the reputation route. People won't just accept and repost hoping to make a buck, because their reputation is at stake. I don't think a lot of people are doing this,,,,,but they are "enabling" every person with a PC and internet connection to be a national. Some of these kids do not care about the long term, or their reputation.

After all,,,,in the internet world you can reinvent yourself with a few keystrokes, so reputation means NOTHING
In my particular case what Jeff said is very true.  I won't do it because I do care about my reputation and making sure the job is done and done correctly.  Any work I accept- be it from my direct customers or via a national or platform- I own.  That means I take responsibility for making sure it's done correctly.  I'm not going to let just anyone try and tackle it with me not worrying about it.  However, I know there are way more out there that are just looking to make a quick buck and couldn't care less about what actually happens on the work order or to the customer.  Those are the type that are going to play the dispatch game (and do).  Sad thing is those are the last type of people you want playing that game.
© 2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Quote from: Todd Hughes
Linux guys are a strange lot...........