Poll

Carbonite - Did you try the free trial?

Heard it on the show and tried it.
0 (0%)
Heard it on the show and didn't try it.
2 (16.7%)
Didn't hear it on the show but I knew about it and tried it.
2 (16.7%)
Didn't hear it on the show but heard of it and never tried it.
5 (41.7%)
Never heard of it.
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Carbonite - Did you try the free trial?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Rick Savoia

• Administrator
  • Macgyvertech
    • The Force field
Carbonite - Did you try the free trial?
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:07:08 PM »
As you know, I've been promoting Carbonite on the show and mentioned the free trial offer. Has anyone tried the trial? Does anyone currently use Carbonite or recommend it to your customers? Please let me know what you think as your answers are important for future sponsor considerations and it is the sponsorships that help me afford the site, the forums and the show.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:11:44 PM by Rick Savoia »

Offline RoboGeek

• Gising na!!
  • Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
Re: Carbonite - Did you try the free trial?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11:28 PM »
I heard about the free trials elsewhere but never tried it. Its actually competition so I wouldn't anyway
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline slowhand53

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »
don't know about the free trial, but my ex has the paid version on her production laptop and it rocks for her data. haven't tried it for full system restore.

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 12:29:12 AM »
We resell iBackup... sooo...  :wink:
© 2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Quote from: Todd Hughes
Linux guys are a strange lot...........

Offline slowhand53

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:42:34 AM »
but you resell anything you can make a buck off of don't you?  :wink:

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 12:48:17 AM »
but you resell anything you can make a buck off of don't you?  :wink:
Actually no.  Margin is definitely important but, more important to me, is how well the product works, how difficult (or not) it is to setup, how many annoying phone calls it will generate for me, how reliable it is, and how much it's going to cost the customer.  There are lots of things we refuse to sell- such as inkjet printers.  We get requests for them fairly regularly but I simply will not sell one to a customer.  Not going to happen.  If they want one they will need to go to Wally World and buy it themselves then deal with WalMart when they aren't happy with it.  We also do not service them no matter where they bought it from.
© 2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Offline slowhand53

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 12:51:44 AM »
i was just teasing (hence the smiley).

only inkjet i recommend lately is the HP OJ 4500 wireless.  haven't gotten a single call about it after 6 months of recommending it.  BTW it's $99 at wally world 

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 12:57:19 AM »

only inkjet i recommend lately is the HP OJ 4500 wireless.  haven't gotten a single call about it after 6 months of recommending it.  BTW it's $99 at wally world
I knew you were- I neglected to include a smiley to put my response in the proper perspective.   :laugh:
But your post brought up a good point I wanted to make- I don't sell or even recommend anything unless I fully believe in the product myself.
© 2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Offline slowhand53

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:32 AM »

I knew you were- I neglected to include a smiley to put my response in the proper perspective.   :laugh:
But your post brought up a good point I wanted to make- I don't sell or even recommend anything unless I fully believe in the product myself.
that's why i failed as a saleman. can't sell what i wouldn't buy

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:06 AM »

that's why i failed as a saleman. can't sell what i wouldn't buy
That's a big part of why I was terminated from the power company.  They expected me to support the BPL and WildBlue programs even though I knew it was going to be a total failure.  They didn't care if it was going to work or not- it was all about sell, sell, sell.  I don't do that.
© 2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Offline David Carroll

• Tier 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:37 AM »
I use amazon s3 with jungledisk as the front end.  I use this in almost all my customer locations.  I had signed up with carbonite but the service burned me permanently by not backing up video files without telling me.  The software at least when I tried it wouldn't back up iso's videos, and who knows what else.  When I asked on their forums they said I could back those files up manually by navigating to them and checking them.  What a joke.  Mozy was better but the restore speed was ridiculously slow.  Jungledisk is a pain in the rear to set up but I like it a lot once its in place.