Software > Open Source (PUBLIC)

What's new with eBox

<< < (5/9) > >>

Todd Hughes:
BTW: I sold one of these to a small bank to replace an SBS server, they are using it as a domain controller/file server on their network of @ 50 Windows work stations and absolutely love it.

RoboGeek:
thats why i love SME.. barring a total drive failure its less than an hour to get up an running, even from a clean install

Parrish:

--- Quote from: Todd Hughes on October 02, 2011, 06:18:43 PM ---So, the hard drive in my eBox died this morning. I was going to upgrade to Zentyal but I just don't want to deal with any upgrade issues right now so I'm staying with eBox. Perhaps I'll update my repositories and do a dist-upgrade some day when I get bored.

Anyway, I booted the dead server to a live Linux CD and managed to mount the root partition of the dead hard drive long enough to tar up the mail directory (/var/vmail/your.domain) and copy it to another machine. Mail only gets backed up when I run full backups on Sundays (figures it dies at the end of the backup window, grrrr).

Tossed in a new hard drive, installed ebox from the CD ISO I have, restored the configuration backup from last week's backup, and copied/extracted the old mail directory tarball into /var/vmail.....done! An hours worth of work and my back-office server (mail, print, file, jabber, dhcp, dns, etc) is back up from a complete hard drive failure. Life is good once again.

:biggrin:

--- End quote ---
That's one of the primary reasons I use Mdaemon for my email server.  To recovery from a disaster like what you are describing all I need to do is copy the mail folder over to the new install (or, even easier- the entire Mdaemon folder then all the configs come with it).  All the mail is stored as .msg files.
Try doing that with Exchange- would never happen.  What takes 30 minutes (or less) with Mdaemon would take an entire day or more with Exchange.

Plus Mdaemon allows me to view the SMTP, IMAP, POP3 connections live- that makes troubleshooting customer email issues a breeze!  It also logs all those connections exactly as they appear- meaning all the handshakes and everything else are there in a plain text file just as they happen.

Parrish:

--- Quote from: Todd Hughes on October 02, 2011, 06:22:37 PM ---BTW: I sold one of these to a small bank to replace an SBS server, they are using it as a domain controller/file server on their network of @ 50 Windows work stations and absolutely love it.

--- End quote ---
As much as I love SBS the one thing I do not like is Exchange.  Sure, it's awesome when it's working correctly.  But it's an absolute nightmare to deal with on disaster recovery or even just something simple  (well something that should be simple) like an upgrade to a new version.

RoboGeek:
so ebox is finally catching up with sme... lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version