Start a Computer Business with the Computer Business Kit

Author Topic: No connectivity?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Roy J. Tellason

• Tier 3 Member
No connectivity?
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
A while back I was looking for a recommendation for a MB to stick in to this server I was building here,  and someone pointed out the Asus E45M1-M Pro,  which I obtained and set up last summer.  Overall I'm pretty happy with the board.

Recently I started having difficulty connecting with it,  and now there is no network connectivity at all, using the onboard NIC.  What's odd about this is the very slow blink I'm seeing in both the link and activity lights on my Netgear FVS318 that it's connected to,  simultaneously.

The OS on that box doesn't seem to see a problem,  and I can ping its own IP address as well as the standard loopback address,  but it can't seem to talk to anything else.

I'm in the process of digging out the required info to get an RMA on this,  and was wondering if you guys had ever run across something of this sort?

No idea why it would work fine for over half a year,  and then all of a sudden quit on me like that...

Offline witchdoctor

• Tier 2 Member
  • Macgyvertech
  • Trolling! Now accepting the marginally competent!
    • Witchdoctor.Digital
Re: No connectivity?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:57:30 PM »
Mine has been rock solid. What troubleshooting steps have you taken? Tried a hub or switch or crossover cable to another PC? Updated the BIOS lately or tried a LiveCD?

All that said, bad integrated NICs happen.

Offline Roy J. Tellason

• Tier 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
I changed the cable,  and tried a different port on the router,  and that's about it.  I suppose I could try a crossover cable,  if I get one out of the car,    but I don't see any link light now so I don't think that'll help much.

Update the BIOS?  Why when the board is practically brand new?  I'll look to see if anything is available,  but I doubt the need for that.

And as far as a Live CD goes,  I suppose I could try that,  but I *really* don't see this as being a software issue.

It just strikes me as odd that it'd fail,  though.

I did have that machine on 24/7 for  a number of months...

Offline bfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • WNY PC Repair
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
I would try connecting directly to cable or DSL modem to eliminate the router (it IS a Netgear, after all), and also try an add on NIC card to verify it is the NIC.

I just had a Gigabyte MB with a bad NIC, sent it back and they apparently repaired it, I won't know for sure until I receive the shipment, but they have had it for a while, so I am assuming repair. Mine was easy to diagnose though, Device Manager didn't see the NIC at all. I used a PCI NIC card, and everything was good, but then I started having USB issues, so I replaced the MB, then sent the bad one back.

Offline Roy J. Tellason

• Tier 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »
I thought of trying a NIC in there,  and perhaps I will,  before I go too much further with this.  I can't find the box,  so I'll have to pull it down and open it up anyway to get the serial # off the board before I can get an RMA,  so I might as well try that.

I'm wondering,  though,  if it's going to give me trouble with this what else might happen.

Offline Roy J. Tellason

• Tier 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »
Following up,  I did pull the box down and open it up,  and among other things removed the case fan assembly and lubed those,  and stuck a NIC in there.  One minor edit to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf to tell it that card was now 192.168.0.1 and I'm back on the air,  with the web server and the shares being accessible and I can continue to work on it for now.

What else I'm wondering about is that the software is seeing both ports just fine.  I just can't get anything into or out of the onboard one.