Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Windows (PUBLIC) / Terminal Services printing issue
« Last post by edpallo on January 21, 2016, 07:18:47 PM »

Printer: HP multi-function

PC: Win7

Issue:

If I RDP in as the Server Administrator, I can print to the local printer without issue using any application.

If I RDP in as a normal user, I can print to the local printer using notepad, BUT any other application (word, excel, print from browser) appears to go through the print process but it never gets to the printer.  Very interesting is that the HP printer monitor software does pop up with a warning about the cyan cartridge being low no matter who I'm logged in as, so there is two way communication.

Client had AWS support look into it, and they couldn't find anything wrong so that's when I got called in.  I've checked all the usual stuff (group policy, file system rights on the spooler folder, etc.).

As part of my troubleshooting, I added a regular user to the administrators group, and they still cannot print from an application, but can print from notepad.

So as far as I'm concerned, Terminal Services must be configured correctly since notepad printing always works. 

Anybody have anything similar happen?  Any suggestions?

hmm cant say i did any work for them
Comcast press release: http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-business-announces-new-unit-targeting-fortune-1000-enterprises

"To help Comcast Business support these national accounts, it recently acquired Contingent Network Services; a national technology deployment and managed services company that helps enterprise customers outsource their day-to-day network operations. Contingent provides deployment and managed services to a number of well-known national brands. The company will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Comcast Business and will continue to operate under the Contingent brand name."
Public Discussions (PUBLIC) / Re: Essintial
« Last post by Roy J. Tellason on July 20, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »
I used to run calls for them,  but eventually stopped.  They were in some respects more of a PITA to deal with than it was worth,  and I currently have them blocked.
Public Discussions (PUBLIC) / Essintial
« Last post by Tom Bozeman on May 29, 2015, 11:11:16 PM »
I am visiting their headquarters next month. What can you guys tell me about the types of service calls they have?

PC SOS performs best doing whitespace for major providers when they have national contracts, like all Washington Mutual, or Nike, etc. When we can do all the break/fix in the remote areas

Windows (PUBLIC) / Attachment directory
« Last post by Tom Bozeman on May 29, 2015, 11:06:43 PM »
How do you locate and access the directory containing Outlook attachments with Office 365.

#1. I unhide the hidden directories

#2. I did a search for a document that came in as an attachment

#3. The attachment was located c:/user/garagepc/appdata/local/microsoft/windows/inetcache/content.outlook/1hcqnhdf

#4. When I use explore, I get as far as the windows folder, the inetcache fold is not there
Public Discussions (PUBLIC) / Re: This makes for an interesting read...
« Last post by edpallo on May 01, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »

It's pretty uncommon to have them dictated to you. (It does happen though.)

are you in business versus just temping?

Your post makes for an "interesting read".  I'll comment on the two items above:

I am finding more and more these days that payments terms ARE being forced upon smaller contractors.  I know of a Fortune 100 company that just pushed their payment terms to 75 days (from 45), AND added an "admin fee" if you submit more than 52 invoices in a year.  Pretty hard pill to swallow if you are a small contractor with a few staff.

And I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment on business versus temping.  Those of us who are in the business of IT support, cannot compete with the "kid outta high school" (pizza Pete).  Platform work has become a commodity.  Or maybe more like a lottery?  You waste time reviewing many, many useless WOs, but once in a while you win an acceptable one...
« Last post by Zanthexter on May 01, 2015, 04:14:14 AM »
So I guess this clearly means that all service platforms must ensure the wording of any WO must not have any reference to "I work for (buyer name)".

That's not really the big deal, it's more a contributing thing. Besides, most work orders are careful to say, "you represent" and "if pressed, don't like, say you're a contractor" (in appropriate verbiage of course) so it's not a big issue.

The core issue is control.

If they say, "go fix the broken computer" and leave it at that, you're an independent contractor.

If they break down, step by step, exactly how they want the work done, when they want it done, who you are to claim to represent, etc... Well, then you're an employee. You're not making any decisions.

And of course there's a big fat grey area in the middle. And the context the work order exists in. (an ongoing thing, more likely to be called an employee, a one off thing, probably not)

Personally, I think the biggest red flag is the "approve" button on the buyers side. An independent contractor is a BUSINESS. Businesses send invoices, and if there's an issue, the invoices get disputed. Managers, aka employers, however, regularly approve an employees time sheet, etc. and then decide how to pay them.

I think the second biggest issue red flag the minimal control over pay and the terms of the payment. Same thing really. A business either dictates terms or negotiates them. It's pretty uncommon to have them dictated to you. (It does happen though.)

The amount of control over work can be challenged fairly easily. Was the detailed instruction sheet I used on my last service call intended to support my work, or control it? But payment, that's a lot more clear cut. If you have limited control over how much and how you get paid, how are you in business versus just temping?

« Last post by derek vandentop on March 21, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
Yes,

about time. Especially after they lost so many buyers to both Field Nation and Work Market.

:'( I miss this forum with Robogeek, Parrish, etc.

nowadays there is not exclusiveness to platforms it seems.  vital is big biggest whore will post WO on all 3 platforms since they prob know the pizza petes have been banned from 1 or the 3 places
« Last post by Bob Rasmussen on March 18, 2015, 08:03:17 PM »
Yes,

about time. Especially after they lost so many buyers to both Field Nation and Work Market.

:'( I miss this forum with Robogeek, Parrish, etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10